CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Who is it that I really want to be?

So I was talking to some students the other night, and the topic of hot dogs came up. I think it originated from me talking about my delicious Hebrew National beauties that were waiting to be consumed by me-they answer to a higher authority after all. Well, we got to talking about Oscar Mayer and singing the songs. I realized that the well known tune and lyric-"I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener, that is what I truly wish to be,..." is maybe the most ridiculous line ever. I mean, I love hot dogs, but why would you want to be processed meat squeezed into a wierd form, slathered in who knows what and then devoured by hungry, nondiscriminate people. Doesn't sound like much to shoot for. I don't want to be chewed up and digested for the brief entertainment or enjoyment or at the very low end, satiation of random people. That being said, the rest of the jingle is very telling. It says that if I was an Oscar Mayer wiener, people would be in love with me. It just made me think of how unhappy we can be with ourselves. This is pretty amazing, that you would prefer being a hot dog and feel confident that you would get more love if you were not what you are now. I know that there are still times in my heart where I wish I had more money, better abs, nicer cars and all sorts of other upgrades. I still pray fairly often that God would just help me to be who He has made me to be and to be excited about that. I guess as long as I don't sink to hot dog aspiration, I will be alright. On a completely unrelated note, Jen and I have taken many pictures and will put them up soon, maybe even tomorrow. We are going to North Carolina tomorrow until Monday for me to attend a conference on the emerging church at Southeastern. It will be great to get away and to see friends since we don't have any here yet.

1 comments:

sheltonfamily said...

We hope you had a great time in NC. I'm sure it was awesome to be back among so many friends and memories. I know Mike is jealous that you are getting to hear Mark D. I hate hot dogs by the way. I have yet to ever eat more than half of one... Ellie still has not had one!